Building and sustaining a successful digital business requires transformational change in the culture, mindset and workforce capabilities. CIOs and business leaders must renew the talent strategy and programs to acquire, nurture and develop requisite workforce core competencies to make the shift.
- Half of Gartner's 2014 CEO survey respondents intend to invest more in IT and digital capabilities for growth, while many still lag behind in their understanding of what digital business means and the disruptions it brings to the organization today and in the near future.
- About 71% of CIOs and IT leaders expect digital business expertise and knowledge to transpire outside of IT by 2015 and 2016, including 43% who see as it as an enterprisewide competency.
- Talent and skills are the top constraints for growth in 2014. More CIOs and business leaders recognize the need to strengthen behavioral competencies or soft skills in the workforce in addition to broadening business knowledge and/or acquiring new technical skills.
- Building a successful digital business requires a strong, change-aware culture and an outside-in mindset that enables the continuous adaptation of the organization's vision, strategy, business model, technology, process and people capabilities.
- Create a digital business vision that tells the digital business story with a long-term view of how digital will change the business. Assess the breadth and depth of challenges brought by digital disruption to the business. Determine the organization's readiness for the transformation.
- Design and implement programs to enhance organizational liquidity and to facilitate and engage people in changing their mindset and behaviors through competency development for improved performance. Make these competencies an integral part of enterprisewide workforce profile requirements.
- Conduct talent reviews and assessment across all business and IT areas to determine key strengths and identify critical gaps. Apply insights gained from the assessments to the development of a competency-based talent system that enables the organization to effectively source, develop and improve requisite workforce capabilities for the digital business.